Saturday, March 24, 2012

Identity - a memory Part 2


From the same memory of the Aladdin's cave, I produced the above piece. In my memory, I remember a lot of stained glass lanterns hanging from the ceiling. When thinking about the memory, I first designed a 3D representational piece of the room I remembered out of cardboard, card and watercolour paints. This is shown below:


The hanging straws represent the stained glass lanterns I remembered, and I chose to use triangular panels for the roof and sides of the room, as this created a sense of perspective and a feeling of continuation - that the room never ends. The bright colours and the triangles are what inspired the stained glass instalation above. To create the effect of stained glass, I cut acrylic plastic into triangular shapes (glass was too difficult to cut, as it kept shattering and it would be more dangerous when being handled), and then used 3D outliner paint to draw the sections that would make the stained glass effect. I then painted these sections with glass paints in the colours that were most prominent in my mind. There are 9 pieces in total, and they hang from the ceiling to create a 3D piece that can be viewed from many angles and reflect sunlight when light comes through a window.


No comments:

Post a Comment