Thursday, March 8, 2012

The figure - Matisse and Okoye inspired


On the topic of 'the figure' I looked at Matisse and Chidi Okoye in particular, and these two artists inspired this art. I chose to use firewood as I feel the natural look reflected the natural form of the body, and the relief reflects the work of Chidi Okoye. However, I looked at more simple shapes to depict a man dancing - as Matisse often simplified images of people and the figure in particular. The wood was hard to carve, so I coudn't get the effect I had originally been hoping for, where I would have had the relief mimic the actual shape of a body, rather than be raised, yet flat - but this just wasn't possible. I used a drill to drill holes around the outline of the body, and then chiselled between these holes and sanded it to make it look more smooth. I also like the way in which the figure appears to move/dance as the wood is turned from side to side.

No comments:

Post a Comment