Wednesday, February 1, 2012

McDonald's brainwashing


To me, the most prominent clown in the 'freak show' is Ronald McDonald, as he depicts the way in which society is so easily influenced by marketing and are subject to McDonald's unhealthy food every day. It is inescapable. I feel that this in itself depicts mankind as a freak show as we allow ourselves to be brainwashed by monopolies such as McDonalds. In the above piece, I wanted to give a sense of the world as a dark place when under the reign of McDonalds, and I did so by painting the background in a light wash of ink as well as painting the sky and crowd of people grey. I felt this was successful in creating a sombre mood. I feel that the crowds of people mindlessly walking towards the golden arches could have been printed better, as I feel it is not always immediate to the viewer that they are people, but I like the way their brains are black - symbolising how their minds have been polluted and over run by McDonald's, but the bottom of their heads are a lighter grey/white, to depict areas of them that have not yet been 'infected'.

No comments:

Post a Comment